What are cookies?
Cookies are small text files which a website may put on your computer or mobile device when you first visit a site or page. The cookie will help the website, or another website, to recognise your device the next time you visit. We use the term "cookies" in this policy to refer to all files that collect information in this way.
There are many functions cookies serve. For example, they can help us to remember your username and preferences, analyse how well our Website is performing, or even allow us to recommend content we believe will be most relevant to you.
Certain cookies contain personal information - for example, if you click to "remember me" when logging in, a cookie will store your username. Most cookies will not collect information that identifies you, but will instead collect more general information such as how users arrive at and use our Website.
What sort of cookies does our Website use?
Generally, our cookies perform up to three different functions:
- Some cookies are essential for the operation of our Website. If you opt to disable these cookies, you will not be able to access or use all of the features that our Website incorporates.
- We utilise other cookies to analyse how our visitors use our Website and to monitor performance. This allows us to provide a high quality experience by customising our offering and quickly identifying and fixing any issues that arise. For example, we might use performance cookies to keep track of which pages are most popular, which method of linking between pages is most effective, and to determine why some pages are receiving error messages.
- We use functionality cookies to allow us to remember your preferences. For example, cookies save you the trouble of typing in your username every time you use our Website, and recall your customisation preferences.
- We do use or allow third parties to serve cookies that fall into the three categories above. For example, like many companies, we use Google Analytics to help us monitor our traffic, to get a sense of how many visitors the Website receives every day and which sections of the site users typically look at. It's a key way of a knowing how well they're doing and what they can do better. We may also use third party cookies to help us with market research, revenue tracking, improving site functionality and monitoring compliance with our terms and conditions.
- Please note we do not allow advertising on our Website so there will be no cookies for this purpose.
- As we have explained above, cookies help you to get the most out of our Website.
Can you block cookies?
- We do not guarantee that our Website will be secure or free from bugs or viruses.
- You are responsible for configuring your information technology, computer programmes and platform in order to access our Website. You should use your own virus protection software.
- You must not misuse our Website by knowingly introducing viruses, Trojans, worms, logic bombs or other material which is malicious or technologically harmful. You must not attempt to gain unauthorised access to our Website, the server on which our Website is stored or any server, computer or database connected to our Website. You must not attack our Website via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of service attack. By breaching this provision, you would commit a criminal offence under the Computer Misuse Act 1990. We will report any such breach to the relevant law enforcement authorities and we will co-operate with those authorities by disclosing your identity to them. In the event of such a breach, your right to use our Website will cease immediately.